Thursday 7 April 2016

Die Gedanken Sind Frei

I start in the name of God The Most Merciful, The Most Kind.

Die Gedanken sind frei means thoughts are free.
When I first found these words years ago I really liked them.
I was watching a documentary and it talked about a prisoner who said these words to the guards....
It reminded me how people can metaphorically be prisoners of this world and it also reminded me how some people can be prisoners of their own thoughts...
They even reminded me of a child-like innocent state when as a youngster day-dreams about the world and what they want to be when they 'grow up'.

Here's the English translation of the poem [I prefer it as a poem rather than lyrics]:

Thoughts are free, who can guess them?
They fly by like nocturnal shadows.
No man can know them, no hunter can shoot them
with powder and lead: Thoughts are free!

I think what I want, and what delights me,
still always reticent, and as it is suitable.
My wish and desire, no one can deny me
and so it will always be: Thoughts are free!

And if I am thrown into the darkest dungeon,
all these are futile works,
because my thoughts tear all gates
and walls apart: Thoughts are free!

So I will renounce my sorrows forever,
and never again will torture myself with whimsies.
In one's heart, one can always laugh and joke
and think at the same time: Thoughts are free!



Thoughts, thoughts, thoughts. Aren't they interesting!
No human soul can truly know ones thoughts. Only God The One knows someone's thoughts and that is beautiful. The notion of thoughts are free reminds me of, if the remembrance of God is always in someone's heart then truly thoughts are free and if the remembrance of God is not in ones heart then everything becomes foggy....

The quotes below are from Ibn Qayyim Al Jawziyyah (may God bless his soul and all the scholars) and I think that they sum up the idea freedom of thoughts and where they come from and how ones thoughts can truly be free:


"Yearning for God and His meeting is like the gentle breeze blowing upon the heart, extinguishing the blaze of the dunya [world]. Whosoever caused his heart to settle with his Lord shall be in a state, calm and tranquil, and whosoever sent it amongst the people shall be disturbed and excessively perturbed."

"And if a person were given all of the world and what is in it, it would not fill this emptiness."

"The heart will rest and feel relief if it is settled with God and it will worry and be anxious if it is settled with people."

"Get yourself out of this limited world of diseases to the wide world of the hereafter, which has what the eyes have never seen. Nothing is impossible there, and love is not lost."

Peace out and love thy neighbour. ♥

May God the Almighty The Turner of hearts bless all the prophets. May God the Merciful forgive us all and make us among the ones who remember Him constantly and may He The Giver of Beauty give us a beautiful patience and may God grant us jannah-al-firdaus Amin.

No comments:

Post a Comment