Saturday 16 April 2016

Walkers

Everyone knows this poem. If you don't, where have you been?
I always assume it is very popular. I guess for some it isn't.
It's called The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveller, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.
The poem reminded me of this photo I took for some reason.
It's a place close to where I live.
I used to always go there for a walk, run, to clear my mind...
I love my walking. I used to walk miles and miles. I walk about a mile to work and back everyday. 
I walk whenever and wherever I possibly can because:
1, it is healthy physically
2, it is healthy mentally
3, I just love walking

I believe everyone should walk whenever they can. Make it a hobby.
We live in a day and age of cars where people drive almost everywhere. People don't get the much needed fresh air because they are literally stuck in cages a.k.a cars.
Now I don't hate cars because they are VERY convenient, however, what I'm talking about here is, when going in a car is definitely not necessary for example, to the shop that's five minutes a way - that can be walked to. You know, those kinds of things. Cars can make people lazy to some extent sometimes and many people I have spoken to that drive cars agree with that.

{to those who cannot walk due to an injury, etc, what I also mean by walking is getting 'fresh air' and being outdoors when one can possibly go}

I'm 22 and people are always shocked when they learn I don't have a driving license. 
I have never been fond of or had an interest in driving and don't think I ever will be. To be honest, I don't think I ever want to even learn to drive a car.
Someone once told me "when you have kids then you'll want to drive". Girl, I'm not even married never mind having kids! I probably still wouldn't want to learn to drive a car unless completely necessary. Kids need fresh air is my comeback!
I'll get a bike :) 

I love walking in the rain, snow, any weather!
I always say as long as you are wearing the right shoes and jacket you are good to go no matter the weather
My parents and people I know and knew were always baffled as to why I woke up extra early just to walk to work or wherever I was going. I'm just that kind of girl. I've seen people drive past me and look at me like I'm crazy walking in the rain.
I love walking - walking isn't only for sunny days pal.

I remember one time when I'd just started high-school and the bell rung and off me and someone I knew (who sadly passed away at the age of 19 from cancer in 2012. May God have mercy on her soul) walked into the distance away from school and a teacher called us back and referred to us as the 'walkers'...For some reason that moment has always stuck in my memory.
I agree, I have always been a walker. A lover of the outdoors and the natural beauty of the world and the core.

People always complain about being stressed, depressed, angry, anxious, headache, heartache or whatever else. 
Take a hike mate! Go for a walk! You will most definitely feel better and even if you aren't 'fixed' by the end of your walk it certainly does relieve tension.
(I say 'fixed' because some people these days think that 'a walk will make it all better' they misunderstand the point, a walk will not fix you but a walk will break you down and help you find the pieces - well that's how I see it. Don't give up on the walk because if you do you won't reach home in the end and remember home is where the heart is. Quite a lot of people think that if things don't 'fix' them then there's 'no point' but the truth is things won't fix you, you will have to take steps in order to get to where you want to be...)

I absolutely love walking. It's so therapeutic and relieving. It gives one time to reflect. It's sad that not many people like walking. And sometimes the 'walkers' have to walk alone.
Not to worry because the aloneness lets one hear away from all the noise. And you realise that's the point.
Sometimes we all just need to be alone.

"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature, and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be."

Now I'm going off into the distance onto the path, the road,  that leads towards peace and the sound heart. The path not many decide to take.

I'll end this post with a beautiful Hadith
Prophet Muhammad (May peace and blessings be upon him) said : 
God Almighty said:
I am as My servant thinks (expects) I am. I am with him when he mentions Me.
If he mentions Me to himself, I mention him to Myself;
and if he mentions Me in an assembly, I mention him in an assembly greater than it.
If he draws near to Me a hand’s length, I draw near to him an arm’s length.
And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed.

& Allah knows best.

No comments:

Post a Comment